Advocating for Learning - Telling Your Stories (2015)
Register today for a special workshop just for you - Advocating on the Hill with Your Stories! The first 50 registrants for this professional opportunity on February 11 will learn how to leverage change with legislators. ASCD Director/Iowa ASCD Director Dr. Pam Vogel and ASCD Legislative Committee Member/Iowa ASCD Director Dr. Susan Pecinovsky will lead this authentic learning opportunity.
Registration is $50 for members of Iowa ASCD and $90 for non-members. Upon registration you will receive access to tools for advocacy and influence, including talking points for major issues (e.g., competency-based instruction, teacher leadership, readers by third grade, kindergarten readiness, instructional time, teacher and principal evaluation, professional learning), sample letter and telephone script for contacting your legislators, and a rubric to evaluate your skills in advocacy. Iowa ASCD will also provide you with contact information about your legislators so that you may schedule visits "on the hill" as part of this opportunity.
A block of rooms has been reserved for February 10th at the Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel (515.244.2151). Be sure to ask for the Iowa ASCD block of rooms.
February 11, 2015, 8:00 A.M. - 12:30 P.M.
Location: Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel, 401 Locust Street, Des Moines, IA
- Continental breakfast and working lunch provided
- Legislative Update - Dr. Brad Buck, Director of Iowa Department of Education
- Funding Update - Margaret Buckton, Financial and Educational Matters on the Hill
- Professional Learning with Drs. Pecinovsky and Vogel
February 11, 2015, 1:00 - 4:00 P.M.
Visits "on the hill" (Capitol - East 12th and Grand)
- Planned visits on the hill with Democratic and Republican Caucuses of the House Education Committee
- Meet with YOUR Legislator(s)
- Informal (and optional) meeting at the Capitol to debrief visits with legislators and share possible next steps for Iowa ASCD members around advocacy and influence
Register NOW! - Contact Bridget Arrasmith with name(s) of registrant(s), district and mailing address, e-mail address(es), phone number as well as check or purchase order. She can be reached at the following address:
- Iowa ASCD, Drake University, School of Education, Room 123, 3206 University Avenue, Des Moines, IA 50311
- Phone: 515.271.1872
- FAX: 515.271.2233
- E-mail: Bridget.Arrasmith@drake.edu
You may register online as well with a credit card at the following URL on the Iowa ASCD website:
Register Now! Limited Space!
The registrants will receive $50 coupon toward attendance at an upcoming conference in 2015-2016.
And educators who send picture of themselves with their legislators will receive free admittance for the workshop for themselves and a colleague as well as a year's membership in Iowa ASCD.
Tools for February 11, 2015, Workshop on Advocating for Learning through Your Stories
- ASCD Position Statements ASCD shares their current positions regarding education and learning.
- Contact Your Legislator in DC and Iowa This site provides contact information with senators and representatives at both the state and national level.
- Educator Advocates: Sign up today for Educator Advocates today from ASCD! Stay informed about the education policy and politics that affect your day-to-day work.
- Rubric for Advocacy: This rubric allows you to identify your level of skill and knowledge as well as practices in advocacy.
- Message Development Sheet: This sheet allows you to use the legislative agenda and "one-pager" to develop your own message for the legislator(s).
- ESEA Comparison: This document compares the bills that are moving forward with the reauthorization of the Elementary Secondary Education Act (ESEA) [formerly known as No Child Left Behind] as well as the position of ASCD.
- State of Iowa Economy: This PowerPoint is Provided by Margaret Buckton, presenter at the Advocacy Workshop on February 11, 2015.