English as Second Language
English as a Second Language
- Academic Language - What? Why? How?: You've probably heard that it takes ELLs longer to learn academic language than social language. But what exactly is academic language and how can we help our ELLs to develop it? This collection of resources by BloomBoard will help you understand what academic language is, how to identify features of it in your lessons and give you some strategies for teaching these features to your students.
- English as a Second Language English as a Second Language by Dr. Ron C. Lee is the most popular free online English-learning resource for ESL/EFL teachers and students.
- ESL Fast: Access this site for many free online English language learning resources.
- Iowa Pathways: Learn about a range of newcomers to Iowa, starting with the Native Americans, continuing to the present day.
- Iowa World Language Association: This state-wide organization is a great resource for teaching world languages as well as support for understanding the cultures of English Language Learners.
- TESOL: Join or read about the premier national organization that researches and advocates for ELLs.
- #ellchat is every Monday evening at 8:00 P.M. (Central Time) where they discuss issues related to teaching English language learners.
- #ELTchat is every Wednesday at 6:00 P.M. (Central Time) and is for English Language teaching professionals.
- YouTube Channels for English Language Learners and Teachers of ELL
- BBC Learning English provides "great grammar, drama, news, study, pronunciation, vocabulary, music, interviews, and celebrity videos."
- Best of Learning English provides video lessons covering different topics related to English learning. The playlist includes The English We Speak, 6-Minute Vocabulary and Grammar, English and Work, and more.
- BBC Learning English Listening Skills The daily program focuses on listening and speaking skills, Besides, you also learn grammar and vocabulary.
- Daily English Conversation offers video lessons to help English learners enhance their speaking skills and English grammar.
- English Kids TV teaches Children English as a Second Language (ESL) and is a fun and effective way to Learn English online. It uses cartoons, songs, funny skits, and more. Ideal for ages 3 -10
- 2010 US Census Explore how the demographics of Iowa have changed over the past 10 years based on US Census data.
This page was updated on January 16, 2017.
Please contact us with additional resources to make this web page a better resource for those responsible for English learners. Contact LouHowell@mediacombb.net.