After School and Summer and Extended Learning Programming
- After School - Wallace Foundation Millions of city children and teens lack access to out-of-school time programs that provide rich opportunities for growth, learning and fun. One possible solution – coordinating the work of government agencies, private funders, programs and others involved in after-school programs – is being pioneered by a group of Wallace-supported city efforts.
- Afterschool Alliance - Afterschool Webinars: Learn from experts and fellow practitioners on the latest in afterschool, including funding, research, and analysis, practical guides, and how to's. Register to attend an upcoming webinar or watch a previous webinar.
- Afterschool in Rural America: This report spans a decade of data chronicling how children spend the hours between 3:00 - 6:00 P.M. It highlights the trends of afterschool program participation, documents the benefits associated with participation in afterschool programs, and measures public support for afterschool programs.
- Before and After School Programs The Iowa Department of Education provides information about these programs, including quality standards, activities, and elements.
- Building Citywide Systems for Quality: A Guide and Case Studies for After-School Leaders: This white paper from the Wallace Foundation helps identify a systematic approach to the development of after-school opportunities for our youth.
- Engineering Is Elementary: Engineering Is Elementary supports educators and children with curricula and professional development that develop engineering literacy. There are 20 units for Grades 1-5 and multiple resources through Grade 8. Great resource for after-school programs!
- Expanded Learning and Afterschool: This organization connects you with research, resources, and best practices for building affordable and sustainable approaches to expanded learning in your community.
- ExpandEd Schools: This nonprofit is dedicated to closing the 6,000 hour learning gap through enriched educational experiences.
- Extended School Year Services The Iowa Department of Education provides information about extended learning opportunities, including a definition, critical questions, and needed documentation.
- Full Stem Ahead: This white paper shares how afterschool programs are embracing STEM as a natural fit for the afterschool setting. Read Full Stem Ahead to learn more about the opportunities offered after school to activate students' interest in STEM and view the national map to dig into the data.
- My Community Find: The Afterschool Alliance provides parents, community members, and schools a resource for connecting to afterschool programs in their community. It provides steps for assuring programs in the community.
- Summer and Extended Learning - Wallace Foundation The conventional six-hour, 180-day school year may not be enough for students in many urban public schools. Wallace is seeking to address that through supporting nonprofits and school districts that are trying out ways to expand learning time during the summer and regular school day or year.
This page was updated on December 6, 2016.