Must Reads (and Knows) for All of Us!
- Education Week's Spotlight is a great source on issues pertaining to you and your work. Check out their focus on professional development, teaching and learning, the National Core, math and science, and the list goes on. Great resource for educators.
- Every Student Succeeds Act: n 2015, Congress adopted the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA), a reauthorization of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) of 1965. This update replaces the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001 and restores the proper balance between the role of states and the federal government in accountability for the success of all children.
- Learning from Leadership: Investigating the Links to Improved LearningThis report is the largest to date to confirm through quantitative data that effective school leadership is linked to student achievement. Principals are the central figures in leadership, this study concludes, but top schools also benefit from a “collective leadership” that includes teachers and others in decision-making.
- Learning Is the Work (May, 2011) by Michael Fullan, international leader on educational change, echoes the work of Elmore and others with clarity in our work as educators.
- The School Principal as Leader: Guiding Schools to Better Teaching and Learning This Wallace Perspective summarizes a decade of foundation research and work in school leadership to identify what it is that effective school principals do. It concludes that they carry out five key actions particularly well, including shaping a vision of academic success for all students and cultivating leadership in others.
- Third Grade Literacy Policies This site provides the work and research of Stephanie Rose and Karen Schimke on identification, intervention, and retention.
Must Reads for Higher Education!
And Sites/Resources to Push Your Thinking!
Drive by Daniel Pink, who examines the three elements of true motivation - autonomy, mastery, and purpose - and offers smart and surprising techniques for putting these into action.
A Whole New Mind by Daniel Pink: This resources reveals the six essential aptitudes on which professional success and personal fulfillment depend, and includes a series of hands-on exercises culled from experts around the world to help readers sharpen the necessary changes in higher education.
This page was updated on July 24, 2016. Please contact Lou Howell with additional "must reads"!